The Children’s Music School of Arts No. 1 named after L.P. Alexandroŭskaja opened in Minsk in 1926. Its long history is inextricably linked with the development and achievements of modern Belarusian musical art. The school made a significant contribution to the formation of the national system of aesthetic education of the young generation, has become one of the methodological centers of music education in Belarus.
The educational institution is proud of its pupils, many of whom have become famous figures of national culture and musical art. Among them:
- R.V. Mlodek – Soloist of the State Academic Bolshoi Opera and Ballet Theater of the BSSR, People’s Artist of the BSSR;
- T.P. Stepanova – Belarusian cymbalist, teacher, Honored Artist of the BSSR;
- A.B. Ladygina – Doctor of Philosophy, musicologist, teacher and public figure, member of the Belarusian Union of Composers, professor of the State Academy of Music;
- A.A. Drukt – Belarusian musicologist, teacher, composer, candidate of art history, associate professor
- V.A. Chaban – Soviet and Belarusian accordion player, musicologist, teacher, art critic, professor of the Belarusian State Academy of Music;
- V.N. Nekhaenko – Francisk Skaryna medal winner, professor of the BSAM special piano department, associate professor, honored artist of the Republic of Belarus;
- L.F. Kostyukovets – Doctor of Arts, Associate Professor, Professor of the Department of Belarusian Music of BSAM, author of many scientific and methodological works and monographs;
- V.P. Prokoptsova – Francis Skorina medal winner, author of numerous publications, Doctor of Arts, Professor, Head of the Department of Belarusian and World Art Culture at the Belarusian State University of Culture and Arts;
- M.S. Starcheus – musicologist, one of the largest specialists in the field of musical psychology, doctor of pedagogical sciences, Candidate of Arts, Professor;
- N.S. Kotova-Gromova – winner of international piano competitions, Associate Professor of the BSAM Special Piano Department, Candidate of Arts;
- V.V. Dorokhin – composer, member of the Belarusian Union of Composers, professor of the BSAM Department of Composition, associate professor, Honored Artist of the Republic of Belarus;
- E.B. Zaritsky – composer, member of the Belarusian Union of Composers, Francis Skorina medal winner, People’s Artist of Belarus;
- L.F. Murashko – composer, member of the Belarusian Union of Composers, Associate Professor;
- A.M. Kozlova – composer and teacher, member of the Belarusian Union of Composers.
The current generation of schoolchildren, who have won awards and incentives from the special fund of the President of the Republic of Belarus for supporting talented youth, has also conquered high creative peaks: Nadezhda Bayda, Tatyana Gatsman, Jaŭhien Halcoŭ, Lyubov Budkevich, Dmitry Lonsky, Nikita Petrov, Yana Perovich, Nikita Arekhov, Olga Knyazeva, Yaroslav Makarich, Roman Komissarov, Alexey Ovchinnikov, Alexey Smirnov, Anastasia Shymchak, Fedor Maceralnik, Tali Shafar and many others.
At present, a high level of training of young students is provided by a professional teaching staff that combines an alloy of experience and youth. Many of the teachers of the school were awarded with prizes and diplomas at national and international competitions for high professional skills.
The school is rightly proud of unique children’s creative teams, including:
- Exemplary Choir “Tonika” (lead by Svetlana Belaya),
- Symphony Orchestra (conducted by Ernest Kalinovsky),
- Exemplary Orchestra of Folk Instruments (leader Valery Shimchak),
- Exemplary ensemble of percussion instruments “Rim-shot” (lead by Alexandra Gankova),
- Exemplary brass band “Lira” (conducted by Lorian Kalinovsky),
- Exemplary balalaika ensemble “Zalataja Horka” (lead by Yuri Zhailovich).
On the basis of the school there is city methodological section supervised by the Culture Department of Minsk city executive committee in the specialty “musical-theoretical disciplines” (chairman – N.A.Linkevich). Methodical section unite all teachers of children’s art schools of Minsk in the corresponding profile, provide methodological and organizational support for creative activities.